Tuesday, June 4, 2013

EMAIL:   Tues, June 4  9:56  AM
Subject:  New Investigators

Hello!

This week has gone by very quickly. I feel like I just wrote y'all a few days ago. The week was very good though.

The TDM had a challenge in May to find 1400 new investigators (more than has ever been found before in our mission). So by the beginning of Friday morning, the mission still had to find around 90 new investigators. New investigators are someone that has been taught a principle of the gospel, prayed with the missionaries, and agreed to a specific return appointment. Friday evening, we still had to find many new investigators, so Sister Horne and I went hard to work. In Plano it is always very difficult to find new investigators, so I prayed fervently that Sister Horne and I would be guided to find at least one new investigator to help the TDM reach our goal. I also prayed that the other missionaries would be lead and guided by the spirit to know where to go, and what to do, and what to say.

We biked to an apartment complex were a promising potential investigator lived. Sadly, he wasn't home, even though I had felt really good about stopping by to visit him. So, Sister Horne and I decided to stop by some other people in the apartment complex which also felt like a good decision. On the way, we walked by one of the kids of an LA member playing with one of the kids (Janiyah) of a potential investigator. We had tried to teach Janae numerous times before, but we could never keep contact with her and really help her to investigate the church. I waved at the kids. Janiyah came running over to me and gave me a big hug. She said "come teach me about Jesus" and grabbed my hand to take me to her mom. Poor Sister Horne was so confused what was going on, but just followed quietly behind. To try and keep it short, basically we were able to teach the mom, Janea, a lesson and also set up a specific return appointment with her the next morning. We had a new investigator! At 8:00 that night the mission still had to find 13 new investigators, but we did it. Even President Durrant and his daughter Deanna went out tracting and found a family to teach. When they totaled the May results the next morning the mission had found 1448 new investigators! It is always such a great feeling to accomplish a goal that so many people have strived to reach. I know it was the Lord that led Sister Horne and I to contact Janea again that day. Janea hadn't even crossed my mind to contact, but I know that the Lord led us to that apartment complex and also led our path to walk by her daughter, Janiyah. We would never have found Janea on our own without the guidance of the spirit. I love being a missionary! I am grateful for the Holy Ghost's companionship in my life.

We were able to teach Janea again on Saturday, and we have a lesson set up for this week. Sister Horne and I were also able to find 2 more investigators on Saturday morning. It is a father and son, both named Gerald. They are just moving into the apartments, so it will be a few days before we can teach them. I am very excited to teach Gerald Jr. (19 years) again because he seemed very interested as we taught the restoration.

Yesterday, Wardel and his son Taylor came to church!! They were a little bit late, but they stayed for the whole time and enjoyed the services. The only complaint Taylor had was that he was hungry. Taylor's teacher reported that he answered questions in class and participated. Wardel also did the same in our classes. It is always a wonderful feeling to have investigators come to church. I know that it is the spirit that truly inspires them to come to church because they have felt the quiet guidance in their hearts. Wardel has a baptismal date set for the middle of July. Taylor is also excited to be baptized, but he is leaving for his mom's home this summer, so unless he gets baptized there, Taylor will have to wait until the fall. He is an adorable and very smart 9-yr-old and everyone loved him at church. I am also very impressed with Wardel's understanding of the gospel and his desire to keep learning more and doing the things that can bless his life. I pray that Wardel can keep progressing and be baptized, then he can set the example for Taylor when he returns this fall.

I love being a missionary! This is the greatest thing ever! I enjoy almost every phase of missionary work, but my favorite thing is to teach lessons about the gospel. I know the gospel is true! I have grown to understand the gospel so much as a missionary. The gospel has truly changed my life and I have seen it change so many others too. I know that God's plan is truly perfect, even though our natural man may not understand fully at times. I know that Christ is our Savior. It is only through Him and His grace and mercy that we can return clean to live with our Heavenly Father again. I know that my Heavenly Father loves me. He loves every one of us because we are His children. The Book of Mormon is an example of God's love for all of His children. God didn't just love the Jews in Jerusalem, but He loves all of His children everywhere. I love the Book of Mormon! I learn from it every time that I read and ponder it. I yearn for more time everyday to study and feast upon the Book of Mormon. I can't get enough of the knowledge and spirit that comes from studying the Book of Mormon. I love sharing the Book of Mormon with other people. It is such a precious gift given to us by our loving Heavenly Father. I hope that each of you are striving to read from the words of Christ daily. I know without a doubt that it will bless your life especially as you ponder and pray with sincerity and real intent.

I am so grateful for the Book of Mormon. I am grateful for the experiences that I have had as a missionary. I am grateful for the opportunity we have in this life to learn and progress. I know that the Lord will guide us as we ask and seek. I cannot fully express my gratitude for my Savior Jesus Christ. I am so grateful to be His representative and share His gospel with others. I love Jesus Christ!!

I hope that all y'all have a wonderful week! May the Lord bless each one of you.


Love always - Sister Peck

No comments:

Post a Comment