Monday, April 22, 2013


EMAIL:   Mon, April 22, 2013     11:05 AM
Subject:  Chris and Amber

How are y'all doing today?

I hope everyone is well and happy. Every Monday morning during preparation day, Sister Brown and I have been attending an adult institute class at our church building. The teacher taught a really great lesson this morning about "rescuing" those that are "poor" in spirit, in testimony, in doctrine, financially, etc. As each of us are baptized members of the LDS church we covenant to mourn with those that mourn, comfort those that stand in need of comfort... (Mosiah 18:8-10). In essence, we all covenant to rescue the poor. I left institute feeling just how important it is to help other people that may be "poor" (plus, we need to allow others to help us when we may be poor). I am so grateful to be a missionary because I know that I am indeed rescuing the poor. As I serve other people and as I share the gospel, it truly enriches other peoples' lives and can fill their needs. I love being a missionary!

This week, Sister Brown and I met some great new investigators. Chris and Amber and their two children (5 years and 9 months) just moved into an apartment complex that we visit frequently. We had talked to Chris while he was moving a few things in. He was interested and looking for a new church since they had just moved. Thursday night we went back for our appointment. Their apartment was just a little bit of a disaster because of the move, so Sister Brown and I sat facing each other to teach the lesson with Chris and Amber standing to our sides. Amber has grown up southern Baptist while Chris was not religious until after they were married. Sister Brown and I tried to teach the Restoration, but Christ and Amber tended to just argue on their own personal opinions of doctrine that are not clear according to the bible. They had many good questions, but the problem was that they never really let us answer. They had questions about life after death, resurrection, and many more things that we teach as missionaries. I just wanted to yell at Chris and Amber to stop arguing and let Sister Brown and me teach because I know that we have all of the answers to their questions. I am not sure that I explained that situation clearly for all y'all to understand. Basically, once Chris and Amber have a lot of good potential to accept the gospel. They just need to stop talking long enough to let Sister Brown and I actually teach and answer their questions. I really like Chris and Amber and I am excited to keep teaching them.

One good thing that happened was that Sister Brown and I were able to go back to Chris and Amber's home the next day and help clean and organize from the move. It gave us the chance to build trust with Amber and show her how much we care. We were able to clear and organize the whole living room (which was quite a feat because there was SO much stuff). Amber was so grateful to have our help because that is what she really needed at that time. The gospel will really help Amber and Chris, but first we need to have a better environment to teach them and have them feel the spirit. Now that Sister Brown and I helped clean and organize their apartment, I think that the next lesson with them will go much better. I love doing service!

Sister Brown and I had another really funny/strange experience this week. We had some time, so we went to tract a street. I honestly don't believe that we have ever set foot on that street before that day. About 3 houses in, a woman named Joanne answers the door. She exclaims, "I am so surprised to see y'all again. I didn't think y'all would ever come back because I am wasting your time." I was so confused so I asked her where we had met before. Joanne told us that we had been to her home 2 times before. I tired insisting that maybe it was other missionaries like Jehovah's witnesses, etc. She claimed that she remembers us because of my red curly hair and Sister Brown's brown curly hair. I was so confused because I know that I have never been to her home 2 other times. Joanne continued to tell us everything that happened the other times we came to her home. None of it sounded familiar to me or to Sister Brown either. In the end, Sister Brown and I left with Joanne telling us we could come by any time we want. She says she isn't going to convert because she was born and will die a Catholic, but she will give us water. It was such a strange door contact... Oh the strange things that happen when you are a missionary.

Well, I hope that y'all have a good week. I love all y'all!



Love, Sister Peck


(rcvd on a second email at 11:30 am)
Mom - something else that I would like you to add to the email that I sent out, if you feel like it.

This last week has been really hard for me. I have just been feeling discouraged and disheartened about the missionary work in this area. I also have been wanting so badly to be exactly obedient and diligent, but it just seems harder than usual. I am so grateful to a loving companion for putting up with me and my struggles. I am grateful for her desire to work hard and talk to everyone. I am grateful for an inspired District Leader that lead the best district meeting that this last Tuesday I have ever been to on my mission. I am grateful for the best mission president ever that loves his missionaries and is the best example of obedience. I am grateful for a really good friend that writes me advice and always writes the things that I need to hear. I am grateful to attend church and be spiritually uplifted and enlightened and loved. I am grateful to all of the support and love I get from the people both in Texas and back home. I am grateful for the spirit teaching me what I need to learn and do. I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father that is always blessing me with mercies and love even when I feel that I don't deserve it. I am so grateful for the gospel and my Savior Jesus Christ.

I am feeling and doing a lot better than I was a few days ago, but I am still trying to get through my struggles. I know that the opposition and discouragement that I am feeling right now are coming from Satan. He doesn't want missionary work to move forward. He doesn't want me to be successful. Everything has seemed so hard right now, but I know that the hardest times come just before the blessings pour out from the heavens. I must say that I am looking forward to those blessing. :) I am so grateful to know that this is the true gospel of Jesus Christ. I am so grateful to be one of His representatives and share our beautiful message with the great people of Plano, TX. Missionary Work is hard, but I love it!

I love y'all!

-Sister Peck


I tried to attach some pictures. One is me and Sister Brown and our lovely bikes the first day we rode them. Now I have switched out the purple bike for a nicer teal colored bike. I named my bike "The Teal Terror". Sister Brown's bike I named the "Purple People-Eater"
Another is Sister Brown and our investigators, Sandra (left) and Patty (middle) at the ward Luau.
Another is Kelli on the left (the less-active that just started coming back) and her roommate Lia (that calls us the "Sisters of Mercy") also at the Luau.






No comments:

Post a Comment