Thursday, January 17, 2013


EMAIL: Mon, January 14, 2013          1:34 PM
Subject:  Brad Wilcox!

Howdy Y'all!

So this week we had one of the most amazing speakers ever visit the TDM- Brad Wilcox. He is a teacher at BYU and author of the book "The Continuous Atonement" (which I really want to read when I get home now). He grew up with President Durrant, and it sounds like they may have even been mission companions. Brother Wilcox enlightened us by taking the idea of "I am a child of God" and expanding it so deeply. He talked of how we have a birthright to live in this generation and especially to be missionaries. He used the example of Jacob (Israel) and his 12 sons becoming the 12 Tribes of Israel and the blessings the followed. Brother Wilcox explained a lot about why we have an extra responsibility as Zion's youth in these days to spread the gospel, and he also debunked many of the questions people commonly ask about the church like polygamy, priesthood to the blacks, etc. I wish I could accurately explain everything Brother Wilcox said to y'all because it was so spiritual and so enlightening. I probably learned the most I have on my mission and probably also felt the spirit one of the strongest times that I have on my mission. Brad Wilcox speaking to the TDM was probably the highlight of my week! So Amazing!!

Sister Overy and I are going to be staying together in the Wylie/Sachse area for at least another transfer. We have a lot of work still to do in this area and many people to find and baptize. Sister Overy is getting very close to the end of her mission, and she has so much knowledge and expertise on being a missionary, so I am excited to keep working with her. I pray that we can get the work to progress- I know that it is just on the verge of exploding. The are currently building a new chapel in the Wylie area. Right now, the members of Wylie first have to travel anywhere between 30 minutes to over an hour to get to church. The new chapel is gorgeous and will be only about 5 to 15 minutes away from most members homes. When the Wylie Chapel is finished in May, the work is going to be huge and continue to grow because of the excitement. I am really excited for the Wylie members and for the explosion of work that is going to come in this area soon.

We had an amazing miracle over the weekend. About a month ago, Sister Overy found the name of someone the Elders used to teach in one of our towns, Lavon. Her name is Amie, but we hadn't ever been able to get hold of her. So we decided to stop by again on Saturday in the middle of a Texas downpour. Luckily Amie happened to be standing in her garage talking on the phone, so we made a dash from the car to the house (still getting soaked in the few seconds). We were able to meet Amie. Even more amazing, Amie told us how glad she was the we showed up because she was hoping to go to church with us the next day. Surprise! Come to find out, Amie had been in Idaho for a little bit. While there she got engaged to a member of our church- they will probably be getting married in about a year. Amie had never been to one of our church services and the Elders taught her about 6 months ago, so we gave Amie the address and time for church. Then, Amie and her 14-yr-old daughter Alexandre came to church yesterday!! Amie seemed to really enjoy church. One of the members asked if they would see Amie next week at church too and she responded "Yeah". Amie is already planning to go to the Relief Society mid-week activity this week, and Sister Overy and I will have the opportunity to teach her on Thursday night. I am really excited to keep teaching Amie and hopefully Alexandre too! They seem finally prepared and open to hearing about the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I hope y'all have the best week. May the Lord bless and keep you. I love y'all so much. I really appreciate all the love and the letters that I get in return.

I love being a missionary!

Love, Sister Peck

No comments:

Post a Comment