Thursday, August 9, 2012


EMAIL: Mon, August 6     3:08 PM
Subject:  That's All I've Got!

Howdy!

The work is going well here in Rowlett. My time is interesting right now because my companion leaves to go home (Orem, UT) in just over 2 weeks. She is leaving in the middle of the transfer to be home in time for school, so it makes is interesting for me because I am not really sure where I am going to be going because everyone is already in their companionship for the rest of the transfer.  Not really sure who or where I am going to end up.  Hopefully I can get some information soon, but more than likely they will let me know the Saturday before it happens. I will keep y'all updated.

I forgot to tell y'all that I got to go the Dallas Temple on Tuesday, July 23rd. They let the missionaries go to the temple every 6 months as long as they are serving in an area no more than 1 hour from the temple.  I have now been out for 6 months (crazy!) and Rowlett is about 45 minutes from the temple. My companion, Sister Pierce, had not yet gone to the Dallas Temple, so we decided that it was time to go. Despite the fact that we had to leave the house at 5:40 am, going to the temple was a great experience.  I love the temple so much and I love the peace that it brings even just being on the grounds.  It was an amazing experience to go to a session again!  It was also cool because the member that we live with, Sister Heuer, was even one of the workers in the session that we went to. Awesome! The temple was a great boost and upliftment to help us go out and be missionaries again. The Dallas Temple is pretty and very unique in its architecture. It was very beautiful and peaceful to be there just as the sun was rising over the horizon. If you haven't been to a temple in a while, y'all should go because it will help you with whatever you are going through in your life and will brighten your day so much. I loved being able to go to the temple!  To top it off, Sister Pierce and I even treated ourselves to maple, cream-filled donuts from one of the many little Asian "Donut Shops" that they seem to have at every main intersection in Texas. Yum!

Sister Pierce and I have been teaching a lady named Renee for the last couple of weeks. She started out very timid and shy. Renee would barely even answer our questions and not really talk in the lessons. It has taken some work, but Renee is finally beginning to trust us, and she actually has her own desire to meet with us now.  She is such a sweet lady and so caring- she babysits children out of her home.  I have never met Renee's family, but when we called her a few days ago she told us that she wants us to meet with her husband and 8-yr-old son the next time we come over. Sister Pierce and I are so excited to meet them and pray that they will be a support to Renee and maybe even have their own desires to learn more about the church. Renee is still a little bit wary about being baptized, but her opening up and wanting us to come over is a great sign. Hopefully she will keep progressing and also be able to come to church soon. I love teaching her and sharing my love of the gospel with her. This is one of the great joys of missionary work when people begin to desire to learn more about the church and try to better themselves without the missionaries help.

One of Rowlett's recent converts gave a talk in church on Sunday. He used to be a comedian and he's got a thick Philly accent.  He did a great job, but at the end of his talk he totally forgot (or maybe didn't know) to say, "In the name of Jesus Christ.." Instead he ended his talk, "That's all I've got. Thank you." and promptly sat down. It was pretty funny! I love the members of the church! Rowlett is a great area to be serving in. I love my companion and we are both quite distressed that she is going home so soon. Missionary Work is a great calling. I hope y'all look for opportunities to share the gospel or at least tell others what you believe in.

Thanks for all of the love and support from back home. I love y'all!

That's all I've got. Thank you.
-Sister Peck

No comments:

Post a Comment